GENERAL PROGRAM INFORMATION – Updated July 12, 2021
SWESA offers a wide variety of programs, including social activities, many types of physical fitness classes, art groups, information talks and workshops. There is something for everyone and many opportunities to try new things and meet new people. Early registration is encouraged as programs fill up quickly. You can find all the details in the Program Guide page.
For the most flexibility during the COVID-19 pandemic, our Program Guide is divided into 5 sessions.
|Program Sessions For 2021|
|Session||Length (Weeks)||Session Dates||Registration Dates|
|1||6||February 16 – March 26
Closed February 15
|February 9 – 12|
|2||8||April 6 – May 28,
Closed April 2,5 & May 24
|March 29 – April 1|
|3||8||June 8 – July 30
Closed July 1 & 2
|June 1 – 4|
|4||4||August 10 – September 3
Closed Aug 2
|August 3 – 6|
|5||Session A – 7 weeks||September 13 – October 29
Closed October 11
|Session B – 7 weeks||November 2 – December 17
Closed November 11
Make – up class -Thursday December 23
Our programs are designed for adults aged 55+. You do not usually need to be a SWESA member to participate. However, during the COVID-19 pandemic, SWESA will be only offering programming to SWESA Members or Reciprocal Members until restrictions are fully lifted.
Membership Renewal – Haven’t renewed your membership for 2021, don’t worry SWESA will be starting our annual $40 membership drive, good until December 31, 2022, in August – so come to Blue Quill or Yellowbird East and bring a friend!
SWESA is part of a reciprocal agreement with other seniors centres including: Central Lions Seniors Association, Edmonton Seniors Centre, Jewish Senior Citizens’ Centre, Mill Woods Seniors Activity Centre, Minerva Senior Studies Institute, North Edmonton Seniors Association, North West Edmonton Seniors Society, Seniors Association of Greater Edmonton, South East Edmonton Seniors Association, Strathcona County Family and Community Services, Strathcona Place Senior Centre, Westend Seniors Activity Centre.
Members of these centres will receive the same price discount as SWESA members for instructional programs (e.g., workshops, choir, fitness programs). For all other programs, reciprocal members will pay non-member prices. Reciprocal members will be required to show proof of a valid membership in one of the centres listed above to receive member prices.
Create your MyActiveCenter account today to register for one of our virtual or in-person programs or information sessions. MyActiveCentre is easy, secure and mobile. Benefits include:
- An organized catalogue of all programs with dates, times and locations.
- Live availability – no more waiting to see if you got into a class!
- Flexibility to register for all programs at your convenience.
- Ability to join a waitlist for popular programs or those with limited space.
Once you’ve activated your account, you can join groups and enrol in your centre’s activities on-line; they will appear on your MyActivities page. It’s easy to keep track of your courses and you won’t miss out!
Step by step instructions are provided below:
- Click on this link com to open MyActive Centre.
- Login to your MyActiveCenter account.
New User – At the very top of the page, select the green button “New Users” to create and activate a new account. Fill in your information:
• Key Tag Number: is found on the back of your key tag.
• Home Phone Number: use the number you used to register for your SWESA membership.
• Email Address: use your primary email address.
• Password: set your own password – don’t forget to remember it for next time!
Existing User – At the very top of the page, select “Sign in” and log-in with the same email and password you used last time.
If you have forgotten your password, select “Reset your password” and follow the instructions.
For tablet or smartphone users you will need to go to www.myactivecenter.com/#resetpassword.
- Search for “Southwest Edmonton Seniors” in the search bar.
- Select “Southwest Edmonton Seniors Association” from the search results.
- Once you have successfully created an account or logged in, all available classes will be listed in alphabetical order. Select the class you wish to register for by clicking the name of the program.
- Scroll down to the calendar. Select one of the days listed. If it is a series, confirm you wish to enrol in all classes by hitting “continue” (this step will not appear if it is a one-time class).
- Scroll above the calendar to a grey box to review and confirm the dates you have selected. Hit the green “Register” button.
- One final pop-up will appear to confirm your registration dates. Click “Register”.
- Payment: SWESA staff will call you to process your payment by credit card over the phone once you have completed your registration or you may make an appointment to come by and pay with cash.
You may also register by calling 587-987-3200 Monday to Friday from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm.
Effective July 1, 2021, the province announced it’s move to the final stage of the Provinces “Open for Summer” Initiative.
What does this mean for SWESA members?
- In person participation – Fitness Programming, Coffee and Chats, and Book Club can now be attended in person.
***Members are encouraged to wear their masks to the center. SWESA will continue with the smaller class sizes, sanitizing and social distancing for everyone’s continued safety.
- Hybrid Class Pilot Project is back on! – enjoy your favorite fitness programs from the comfort of your home or in person at the center.
- Toonie Talks – will continue to be offered virtually until our full re-open September 7-10.
- The Library – to access the library or pick up a puzzle you may drop by the Blue Quill Office (11304 – 25 Ave) Tuesday – Friday between the hours of 9:30 am – 3:30 pm.
- August 24 – September 3 – to welcome back our members, SWESA will be offering free fitness trial classes such as Barre, Total Body Bootcamp, Clogging, Beginner Line Dancing, Yoga Stretch and Strengthen II, to name a few. Keep an eye on the weekly bulletin for more information.