GENERAL PROGRAM INFORMATION
SWESA offers a wide variety of programs, including social activities, many types of physical fitness classes, art groups, information talks and workshops. There is something for everyone and many opportunities to try new things and meet new people. Early registration is encouraged as programs fill up quickly. You can find all the detail in the Program Guide page.
For the most flexibility during the COVID-19 pandemic, our Program Guide is divided into 5 sessions.
|Program Sessions for 2021|
|Session Dates||Registration Dates|
|1||6||February 16 – March 26
Closed February 15
|February 9 – 12|
|2||8||April 6 – May 28
Closed April 2,5 & May 24
|March 29 – April 1|
|3||8||June 8 – July 30
Closed July 1
|June 1- 4|
|4||8||August 10 – October 1
Closed August 2 & October 11
|August 3 – 6|
|5||10||October 12 – December 17
Closed November 11
|October 5 – 8|
Our programs are designed for adults aged 55+. You do not usually need to be a SWESA member to participate. However, during the COVID-19 pandemic, SWESA will be only offering programming to SWESA Members or Reciprocal Members until restrictions are fully lifted.
SWESA is part of a reciprocal agreement with other seniors centres including: Central Lions Seniors Association, Edmonton Seniors Centre, Jewish Senior Citizens’ Centre, Mill Woods Seniors Activity Centre, Minerva Senior Studies Institute, North Edmonton Seniors Association, North West Edmonton Seniors Society, Seniors Association of Greater Edmonton, South East Edmonton Seniors Association, Strathcona County Family and Community Services, Strathcona Place Senior Centre, Westend Seniors Activity Centre.
Members of these centres will receive the same price discount as SWESA members for instructional programs (e.g. workshops, choir, fitness programs). For all other programs, reciprocal members will pay non-member prices. Reciprocal members will be required to show proof of a valid membership in one of the centres listed above in order to receive member prices.
Create your MyActiveCenter account today to register for one of our virtual or in-person programs or information sessions. MyActiveCentre is easy, secure and mobile. Benefits include:
- An organized catalogue of all programs with dates, times and locations.
- Live availability – no more waiting to see if you got into a class!
- Flexibility to register for all programs at your convenience.
- Ability to join a waitlist for popular programs or those with limited space.
Once you’ve activated your account, you can join groups and enrol in your centre’s activities on-line; they will appear on your MyActivities page. It’s easy to keep track of your courses and you won’t miss out!
Step by step instructions are provided below:
- Click on this link myactivecenter.com to open MyActive Centre.
- Login to your MyActiveCenter account.
New User – At the very top of the page, select the green button “New Users” to create and activate a new account. Fill in your information:
• Key Tag Number: is found on the back of your key tag.
• Home Phone Number: use the number you used to register for your SWESA membership.
• Email Address: use your primary email address.
• Password: set your own password – don’t forget to remember it for next time!
Existing User – At the very top of the page, select “Sign in” and log-in with the same email and password you used last time.
If you have forgotten your password, select “Reset your password” and follow the instructions.
For tablet or smartphone users you will need to go to www.myactivecenter.com/#resetpassword.
- Search for “Southwest Edmonton Seniors” in the search bar.
- Select “Southwest Edmonton Seniors Association” from the search results.
- Once you have successfully created an account or logged in, all available classes will be listed in alphabetical order. Select the class you wish to register for by clicking the name of the program.
- Scroll down to the calendar. Select one of the days listed. If it is a series, confirm you wish to enrol in all classes by hitting “continue” (this step will not appear if it is a one-time class).
- Scroll above the calendar to a grey box to review and confirm the dates you have selected. Hit the green “Register” button.
- One final pop-up will appear to confirm your registration dates. Click “Register”.
- Payment: SWESA staff will call you to process your payment by credit card over the phone once you have completed your registration or you may make an appointment to come by and pay with cash.
You may also register by calling 587-987-3200 Monday to Friday from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm.
In-person fitness classes Effective March 1, 2021, the province lifted some of the restrictions on group fitness classes, allowing for “low-intensity” group fitness to be done in-person. Select in-person low-intensity fitness classes in Session 2 are:
Essentrics Age Reversing Essentrics for Seniors
Sit and Be Fit Barre
Gentle Yoga Yoga Stretch and Strengthen
Core and All Body Weight
Virtual fitness classes All “high-intensity” classes will be offered “virtually” until the province lifts restrictions on high-intensity group fitness. Virtual fitness classes in Session 2 are:
Zumba Gold Total Body Bootcamp
COVID-19 Safety SWESA will be offering in-person classes at our Blue Quill Community Centre location, 11304 – 25 ave NW. With significantly reduced class sizes, participants will be able to adhere to the physical-distancing requirements. Program and activity times have been adjusted to allow time for proper cleaning and sanitization between classes and for participants to come and go with limited contact.
SWESA is offering Virtual Coffee and Chat, on Mondays and Thursdays beginning at 1:00 pm. There is no charge to attend. Zoom links to the Coffee and Chat sessions can be found in the SWESA Weekly Bulletin or you can receive a link by contacting the Program Coordinator at email@example.com.