GENERAL PROGRAM INFORMATION – Updated August 21, 2021
SWESA offers a wide variety of programs, including social activities, many types of physical fitness classes, art groups, information talks and workshops. There is something for everyone and many opportunities to try new things and meet new people. Early registration is encouraged as programs fill up quickly. You can find all the details in the Program Guide page.
Our Program Guide is divided into 5 sessions.
|Program Sessions For 2021|
|Session||Length (Weeks)||Session Dates||Registration Dates|
|1||6||February 16 – March 26
Closed February 15
|February 9 – 12|
|2||8||April 6 – May 28,
Closed April 2,5 & May 24
|March 29 – April 1|
|3||8||June 8 – July 30
Closed July 1 & 2
|June 1 – 4|
|4||4||August 10 – September 3
Closed Aug 2
|August 3 – 6|
|5||Session A – 7 weeks||September 13 – October 29
Closed October 11
|Session B – 7 weeks||November 2 – December 17
Closed November 11
Make – up class -Thursday December 23
Our programs are designed for adults aged 55+. For the remainder of 2021, in order to best manage resources during the pandemic, SWESA will be offering programming to SWESA Members or Reciprocal Members only. At a later date we plan to resume offering programming to all interested 55+ adults.
The annual fee for SWESA membership is $30.00 which is valid from January 1 through to December 31. If you join between September and December, the membership cost is $40.00 and continues until the end of the following year.
SWESA is part of a reciprocal agreement with other seniors centres including: Central Lions Seniors Association, Edmonton Seniors Centre, Jewish Senior Citizens’ Centre, Mill Woods Seniors Activity Centre, Minerva Senior Studies Institute, North Edmonton Seniors Association, North West Edmonton Seniors Society, Seniors Association of Greater Edmonton, South East Edmonton Seniors Association, Strathcona County Family and Community Services, Strathcona Place Senior Centre, Westend Seniors Activity Centre.
Members of these centres will receive the same price discount as SWESA members for instructional programs (e.g., workshops, choir, fitness programs). For all other programs, reciprocal members will pay non-member prices. Reciprocal members will be required to show proof of a valid membership in one of the centres listed above to receive member prices.
Create your MyActiveCenter account today to register for one of our virtual or in-person programs or information sessions. MyActiveCentre is easy, secure and mobile. Benefits include:
- An organized catalogue of all programs with dates, times and locations.
- Live availability – no more waiting to see if you got into a class!
- Flexibility to register for all programs at your convenience.
- Ability to join a waitlist for popular programs or those with limited space.
Once you’ve activated your account, you can join groups and enrol in your centre’s activities on-line; they will appear on your MyActivities page. It’s easy to keep track of your courses and you won’t miss out!
Step by step instructions are provided below:
- CLICK HERE to open MyActiveCenter.
- Login to your MyActiveCenter account.
New User – At the very top of the page, select the green button “New Users” to create and activate a new account. Fill in your information:
- Key Tag Number: is found on the back of your key tag.
- Home Phone Number: use the number you used to register for your SWESA membership.
- Email Address: use your primary email address.
- Password: set your own password – don’t forget to remember it for next time!
Existing User – At the very top of the page, select “Sign in” and log-in with the same email and password you used last time.
If you have forgotten your password, select “Reset your password” and follow the instructions.
For tablet or smartphone users you will need to go to www.myactivecenter.com/#resetpassword.
- Search for “Southwest Edmonton Seniors” in the search bar.
- Select “Southwest Edmonton Seniors Association” from the search results.
- Once you have successfully created an account or logged in, all available classes will be listed in alphabetical order. Select the class you wish to register for by clicking the name of the program.
- Scroll down to the calendar. Select one of the days listed. If it is a series, confirm you wish to enrol in all classes by hitting “continue” (this step will not appear if it is a one-time class).
- Scroll above the calendar to a grey box to review and confirm the dates you have selected. Hit the green “Register”
- One final pop-up will appear to confirm your registration dates. Click “Register”.
- Payment: SWESA staff will call you to process your payment by credit card over the phone once you have completed your registration or you may make an appointment to come by and pay with cash.
You may also register by calling 587-987-3200 Monday to Friday from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm.
Effective July 1, 2021, the province announced the final stage of the Province “Open for Summer” Initiative. As we gear up for fall programming you will be able to access both in-person programming and hybrid programming where participants can choose virtual or in-person options.
Register now with your myactivecenter account for SWESA’s Welcome Week (September 7-9, 2021) to explore complimentary fitness classes and card games. Meet our instructors. Participate or be a spectator. CLICK HERE for more information as shown in our August 23 – 27 weekly bulletin (scroll down in the bulletin the Welcome Week section).
Safety during the Pandemic: SWESA uses ongoing AHS advice to ensure the safest environment for our members, volunteers and staff. At SWESA we are committed to offering the programming our members want – in a safe environment. Here’s what you can expect:
- Participants who are sick or experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms are asked to stay home. SWESA will refuse entry to protect the safety and well-being of members, staff, and volunteers.
- Participants are encouraged to wear their masks in certain settings such as entering and exiting the building. Masks do not need to be worn during the class. Members will enter through the main entrance doors and scan your SWESA Key Tag for attendance purposes. You may be required to answer the COVID screening questions. This includes visiting or book returns and exchanges.
- Please maintain a minimum of 6ft distance between participants.
- Classes will have a maximum of 15 participants to ensure we can easily keep a 6ft distance.
- Wash or sanitize your hands often, especially before and after handling any exercise equipment and before eating.
- When exiting the building after your class or sessions we ask that you refrain from loitering in the main entrance or hallways.
- All fitness classes will take place at the Blue Quill Community Centre where there is more room to physical distance.
- Bring your own props and or fitness equipment if you have them. For the week of Aug 23- 27th, equipment will be located in the Admin. Office. Please come early to avoid hallway traffic and grab what you need for your class. After class, please kindly place used equipment in the provided bin for disinfection.
- We will provide cleaning wipes for you to use to clean off your chair arms and desk space. Help us keep our centres safe by cleaning before and after use.